Sunday, August 14, 2011

I was at the gym this morning and began to warm up on a treadmill.  I was running late so I didn't give much attention to the treadmill that I stepped on.  I just pressed "quick start," ramped it up to 3.3 speed and began my session.  As I looked up at the TV screens, I instinctively put both hands on the side rails.  Hmmm, something's not right....something feels gross...

Instead of finding the usual cold, hard rails I realized that I had put my hands down on semi-dried sweat of someone who was on the treadmill before me.  ewwwww!  Immediately, I stepped to the side of the moving track and in doing so I had to brace myself and put my hands in another semi-soggy pool of someone else's sweat.  G-R-O-S-S !!!!!  My mouth opened and out came exclamations such as, "OMG...who was here before me?!  Who would leave a treadmill like this?!  What an inconsiderate person!!!...."  LOL....

You might say, "oh, yea, that's happened to me too..."  Right?  Whether it be an elliptical, treadmill, piece of weight equipment, or stretch mat, I'm sure that at some time in your workout career (ha) you have stepped into, rolled into, sat down on someone else's sweat.  Well, I don't have to tell you that it is just gross.  I never get used to it and I find it completely inexcusable that someone would not clean up after himself/herself. 

Do you know what makes it worse this morning?  The gym is part of an exclusive resort, so the members totally should know better!!!  Actually, I should know better.  By now I should know that manners and courtesy are not possessed only by the financially well-to-do.  In fact, money and status are no indication of the character of a person.  In my opinion, how one conducts himself (this means male and female), how one treats others, one's courtesy and manners (let me throw this in:  washing your hands in the restroom...cleaning up after yourself on a sweaty treadmill!)....these are the elements of a person who has class.





No comments:

Post a Comment